Aja Ekadashi falls just after 2 days of Krishna Janamasthmi in Bhadrapada month of Krishan Paksha. It is also known as Kamika Ekadashi. On this Ekadashi, devotees must worship Lord Vishnu and with its influence, all the sins committed in ignorance are destroyed.
Aja Ekadashi 2022 Date & Muhurat
Tithi: Krishna Paksha Ekadashi of Bhadrapada Month
Aja Ekadashi 2022 Date: Tuesday, 23 August
Parana Time – 05:55 AM to 08:30 AM on Wednesday, 24 August
On Parana Day Dwadashi End Moment – 08:30 AM
Ekadashi Tithi Begins – 03:35 AM on Tuesday, 22 August 2022
Ekadashi Tithi Ends – 06:06 AM on Wednesday, 23 August 2022
Read Also: Ekadashi 2022 Dates
Vrat Vidhi (Fasting Rules)
- Wake up early on this day (before sunrise), take a holy bath with kusha grass, sesame and clay.
- To worship Lord Vishnu, some grains (anaaz/dhaanya) should place in a pure and divine place.
- Fix an earthen pot- kalash decorated with red colour on top of the area loaded with the grains.
- After the establishment of that earthen pot kalash, offer holy water, vermillion and rice to that pot to begin the sacred rituals.
- Place an idol of Lord Vishnu on top of the earthen pot.
- Take the resolution of Aja Ekadashi vrat by sitting next to Lord Vishnu’s idol.
- After taking the resolution, worship Lord with incense, lamps,bhog and flowers.
- The vrat should be broken on the next day (Dwadashi), after offering food to a Brahmin.
Do’s and Dont’s of Aja Ekadashi Vrat
- Do not eat grams/gram seeds, honey and vegetables like- karonda.
- Apart from this, Do not consume food for the second time on this day.
- The person should never eat meat on the dashami tithi of Aja Ekadashi.
- Masoor dal (lentils) should be avoided in the night of dashami; which flattens down the effects of the vrat.
- Follow the Brahmacharya rules on the day of fasting and avoid consuming non-vegetables and alcohol items, especially on the dasami.
- One should not indulge themselves into gambling, playing cards and other betting games.
- Do not eat paan (betel leaf) on the dasami date.
- Do not brush your teeth and No tree should be cut.
- Should refrain from condemning others and shun speaking lies.
You may like: Ekadashi Vrat Katha
Aja Ekadashi Vrat Katha
Arjuna said- “O Pundarikaksha! Now please tell me about the Ekadashi of Krishna Paksha of Bhadrapada month. What is the name of this Ekadashi and what is the law of its fast? What is the result of this Ekadashi vrat?”
Shri Krishna said- “O Kunti son! On the Krishna Paksha of the month of Bhadrapada, it is called Ekadashi. By observing this, all sins are destroyed. All those who worship God reverently on this day are destroyed. There is no other fast in the world similar to this Ekadashi fast which helps in people of the world.
Now pay attention to this Ekadashi’s glory – A Chakravarti king used to rule in the city of Ayodhya during the mythological period. His name was Harishchandra. He was very brave, majestic, and truthful. God willingly donated his kingdom to a sage in the dream and he had to sell his woman and son as well. He himself became a slave of a Chandal. He worked to take the shroud in that chandal, but he did not leave the truth with him even in the work of this objection. When many years passed in this way, he felt very sad about his lowly deeds and started looking for ways to get rid of it. He always started worrying about what should I do? How can I get rid of this evil act? Once upon a time, he was worried that Gautam Rishi reached him. Harishchandra saluted him and started narrating his sad story.
Hearing the sad story of King Harishchandra, Maharishi Gautam was also very sad and he said to the king – ‘O Rajan! The name of Ekadashi of Krishna Paksha of Bhadas is Aja. You should fast on that Ekadashi and awaken at night. This will destroy all your sins.
Maharishi Gautam became so dull saying this. On the day of Ekadashi named Aja, King Harishchandra fasted and performed a nightly awakening according to Maharishi’s instructions. Due to the effect of this fast, all the sins of the king were destroyed. At that time, the drums began to ring in heaven and flowers started to rain. He found gods like Brahma, Vishnu, Mahesh, and Devendra standing before him. He saw his deceased son alive and his wife full of royal robes and jewelry.
With the effect of the fast, the king regained his kingdom. In fact, a sage had done all this to test the king, but with the effect of the fast of Aja Ekadashi, all the illusion created by the sage ended and in the end, Harishchandra went to heaven with his family.
All the sins of those who do this fast and do night awakening are destroyed and in the end, they attain heaven. Only by listening to the story of this Ekadashi fast can one get the fruits of Ashwamedha Yagya. “
You may like: Aja Ekadashi Vrat Katha in Hindi
Aja Ekadashi Vrat Benefits
Aja Ekadashi Vrat is very significant; if it is done with proper solemn rituals. As it takes away all the sins and wrongdoings. You should stay awake the whole night for Ratri Jagaran. This vrat helps to vanish all inadvertent sins. He/she gets immense happiness and prosperity in his/her family.