Mohini Ekadashi is observed on the Shukla Paksha ekadashi(11th day) of the Hindu month of Vaisakha. This ekadashi washes away all the sins committed by a person, including the sins committed in previous births.
Lord Vishnu is actually a beautiful woman – Yes! Shocking but true. His name is ‘Mohini’. Mohini is, in fact, the most beautiful lady ever in existence. She has been the main character in many major incidents of Indian Mythology. Samundar Manthan, the destruction of the very famous Bhasmasura, affair with lord Shiva and much more were all because of Mohini.
Vrat Vidhi and Rituals
- You need to get up and take an early bath with Til and Kush.
- Ensure that you sleep on the floor on the ‘dashami’ night.
- You need to then observe a fast. It may be complete fasting which debars the use of water as well, else you can keep a semi-fast where you can consume only fruits and water.
- On the day of Mohini Ekadashi, consuming rice and all forms of grains is prohibited even for those not observing any fast.
- It is believed that Mohini Ekadashi vrat should be broken by drinking milk the next day.
- Complete fasting occurs on the Ekadashi and continues till the sunrise of ‘Dwadashi’.
- Special ‘Mandaps’ are prepared with idols of Lord Vishnu.
- Devotees worship the lord with sandalwood, sesame seeds, colorful flowers and fruits
- Do not forget to offer Tulsi leaves as they are Lord Vishnu’s favorite.
- In the night people keep on chanting prayers and bhajans of Lord Krishna.
Mohini Ekadashi Date and Muhurat
Mohini ekadashi falls on Sunday, 03 May 2020.
Ekadashi Tithi Begins – 09:09 AM on May 03, 2020
Ekadashi Tithi Ends – 06:12 AM on May 04, 2020
Mantra For Mohini Ekadashi
Chant any of these Vishnu Mantras and Slokas.
Om Namo Bhagavate Vaasudevaaya Mantra, Vishnu Sahasranama Stotram or Vishnu Ashtottaram.
Rama Taraka Mantra – “Shri Ram Jai Ram Jai Jai Ram”
Rama Moola Mantra – “Om Shri Ramaya Namah”
Mohini ekadashi vrat katha
In ancient times, a city named Bhadravati was inhabited on the banks of Saraswati river. In that city a king named Dutiman ruled. There lived a Vaishya in the same city, who was full of money. His name was Dhanapal. He was very devout and Narayan devotee. He built many eateries, piers, wells, ponds, dharamshalas etc. in the city, planted mangoes, berries, neem etc. along the roads, which would give happiness to the pilgrims. The Vaishya had five sons, of whom the eldest son was very sinful and wicked. He used to associate with prostitutes and evildoers. He used to spend time gambling on the time left. He was very adamant and did not believe in gods, ancestors etc. He used to spend most of his father’s wealth in bad addictions. Drinking and eating meat was his daily work. When he did not come to the right path even after much persuasion, his father, brothers and relatives expelled him from his house and started condemning him. After leaving home, he started living by selling his jewelery and clothes.
The prostitutes and their evil companions also abandoned her after the money was destroyed. When he was disturbed by hunger and thirst, he thought of stealing and stealing his stomach by stealing at night, but one day he was caught, but the soldiers left him knowing the son of Vaishya. When he was caught again for the second time, the soldiers also did not take any consideration of him and presented him to the king and told him everything. Then the king put him in prison. He was given a lot of hardship by the king’s order in prison and finally he was asked to leave the city. Unhappy, he had to leave the city.
Now he started filling the stomach by killing animals and birds in the forest. Then became the fowler, and with the bow and arrow began to eat and sell the innocent creatures of the forest. Once distraught with hunger and thirst, he went in search of food and went to the ashram of Kautinya Muni.
These days was the month of Vaishakh. Kautinya Muni came after taking bath in Ganga. The sinner received some goodwill from the mere splattering of his soaked clothes. He went to the sage, adam, and folded his hands and said – ‘O Mahatma! I have committed many sins in my life, please show me a simple and free way to get rid of those sins.
The sage said- ‘Listen carefully and observe Ekadashi fasting on the bright half of the month of Vaishakh. The name of this Ekadashi is Mohini. Fasting on it will destroy all your sins.
He was very pleased to hear the sage’s words and according to his stated method, he fasted on Mohini Ekadashi. Due to the effect of this fast, all his sins were destroyed and finally he went to Vishnulok riding on Garuda.
You may like: Ekadashi Vrat Katha
A brief description of its significance directly from Surya Purana.
People who worship Lord Vishnu and keep fast on this auspicious day are said to be free of all their sins including the sins of the previous birth. It also ensures the welcoming of a happy and prosperous life ahead.
The greatness of Mohini Ekadashi was first narrated to Lord Rama by saint Vasistha and to Maharaja Yudhisthira by Lord Sri Krishna. It is believed that if a person observes the Mohini Ekadashi vrat with complete devotion than the ‘punya’ or good deeds that he receives is much more than those achieved by visiting pilgrimages, offering charity or even performing yajnas. It is also believed that that the observer of fast achieves freedom from the continuous cycle of birth and death and attains salvation.
Amazing Facts about Mohini Ekadashi
- Lord Vishnu disguised himself as a beautiful lady – Mohini on the Ekadashi tithi and hence this day came to be celebrated as Mohini Ekadashi.
- It is said that Lord Vashishta advised Lord Ram to observe Mohini Ekadashi get over the distress caused by the separation from Mata Sita.
- Performing Mohini Ekadashi will prevent you from even life threats.
- All your sins; even from your past births will be washed off.
- The good deeds obtained by fasting on Mohini Ekadashi are much more than visiting pilgrimages, offering charity or even performing Yagnya.
- People break the fast by drinking milk.