Lord Vishnu is actually a beautiful woman – Yes! Shocking but true. His name is ‘Mohini’. Mohini is, in fact, the most beautiful lady ever in existence. She has been the main character in many major incidents of Indian Mythology. Samundar Manthan, the destruction of the very famous Bhasmasura, affair with lord Shiva and much more were all because of Mohini.
Mohini Ekadashi is observed on the 11th day of the Shukla Paksha which falls in the Hindu month of Vaisakha.
Auspicious Time For Mohini Ekadashi
On 7th, Parana Time = 05:40 to 08:19
On Parana Day Dwadashi End Moment = 21:42
Ekadashi Tithi Begins = 19:44 on 5/May/2017
Ekadashi Tithi Ends = 20:30 on 6/May/2017
Significance of Mohini Ekadashi
A brief description of its significance directly from Surya Purana.
People who worship Lord Vishnu and keep fast on this auspicious day are said to be free of all their sins including the sins of the previous birth. It also ensures the welcoming of a happy and prosperous life ahead.
The greatness of Mohini Ekadashi was first narrated to Lord Rama by saint Vasistha and to Maharaja Yudhisthira by Lord Sri Krishna. It is believed that if a person observes the Mohini Ekadashi vrat with complete devotion than the ‘punya’ or good deeds that he receives is much more than those achieved by visiting pilgrimages, offering charity or even performing yajnas. It is also believed that that the observer of fast achieves freedom from the continuous cycle of birth and death and attains salvation.
Rituals on Mohini Ekadashi
- You need to get up and take an early bath with Til and Kush.
- Ensure that you sleep on the floor on the ‘dashami’ night.
- You need to then observe a fast. It may be complete fasting which debars the use of water as well, else you can keep a semi-fast where you can consume only fruits and water.
- On the day of Mohini Ekadashi, consuming rice and all forms of grains is prohibited even for those not observing any fast.
- It is believed that Mohini Ekadashi vrat should be broken by drinking milk the next day.
- Complete fasting occurs on the Ekadashi and continues till the sunrise of ‘Dwadashi’.
- Special ‘Mandaps’ are prepared with idols of Lord Vishnu.
- Devotees worship the lord with sandalwood, sesame seeds, colorful flowers and fruits
- Do not forget to offer Tulsi leaves as they are Lord Vishnu’s favorite.
- In the night people keep on chanting prayers and bhajans of Lord Krishna.
Mantra For Mohini Ekadashi
Chant any of these Vishnu Mantras and Slokas.
Om Namo Bhagavate Vaasudevaaya Mantra, Vishnu Sahasranama Stotram or Vishnu Ashtottaram.
Rama Taraka Mantra – “Shri Ram Jai Ram Jai Jai Ram”
Rama Moola Mantra – “Om Shri Ramaya Namah”
Amazing Facts About Mohini Ekadashi
- Lord Vishnu disguised himself as a beautiful lady – Mohini on the Ekadashi tithi and hence this day came to be celebrated as Mohini Ekadashi.
- It is said that Lord Vashishta advised Lord Ram to observe Mohini Ekadashi get over the distress caused by the separation from Mata Sita.
- Performing Mohini Ekadashi will prevent you from even life threats.
- All your sins; even from your past births will be washed off.
- The good deeds obtained by fasting on Mohini Ekadashi are much more than visiting pilgrimages, offering charity or even performing Yagnya.
- People break the fast by drinking milk.