A lunar eclipse(Chandra Grahan) happens only when the moon is in a perpendicular direction behind the earth so that the earth’s shadow falls on the moon. It takes place on Purnima tithi (Full Moon). In 2020, Chandra Grahan occurs four times.
2020 Chandra Grahan dates
The first Chandra Grahan of 2020 was on Friday, 10 January. A second Grahan was on Friday, June 5. Exactly one month after that on Saturday, July 5; a lunar eclipse will be seen again and the last lunar eclipse of the year will be seen on Monday, November 30.
According to astronomical events, 6 eclipses will occur in this year. The month of June is very special; as there are two eclipses in this month both Chandra(05 June) and Surya Grahan(21 June). According to astrology, these eclipses can create a state of turmoil in the country and the world.
You should read: Surya Grahan 2020
Effects of Chandra Grahan
The effects of Chandra Grahan depends on different zodiac signs, ranging from loss of energy to career downfall. Pregnant women should stay indoors as the harmful rays can have an adverse effect on the growing baby. Holy ‘Gangajal’ should be sprinkled all over the house and workplace to minimize the harmful effects of Chandra Grahan. You have to chant the Bija Mantra ॐ श्रां श्रीं श्रौं सः चंद्रमसे नमः 108 times. Along with this, donate rice and white sesame seeds as well as take blessings of the elders from you.
Do’s and Don’ts during Chandra Grahan
You all get to know that Chandra Grahan is not harmful as compared to Surya Grahan because we can easily see Chandra Grahan with our naked eyes. But we need to follow some rules from which we can get rid of any effects from it.
What not to do
- Oiling, eating, drinking water, sleeping, making hair, sexual intercourse, brushing, washing clothes, unlocking, etc. should not be done at the time of Chandra Grahan.
- Don’t eat grains.
- Sleeping at the time of eclipse makes a person sick. Stomach disease, leprosy, massage, or application of leprosy, leprosy, and female infertility provide the vagina of a pig in the next birth.
- Don’t take food 3 hours before the Chandra Grahan. Older people, children, and sick humans can eat food 1 hour before.
- Leaves, straw, wood, and flowers should not be broken on the day of Grahan.
- According to Skanda Purana, eating the food of another at the time of eclipse destroys all the virtues collected for 12 years.
- Do not start any auspicious or new work.
- Pregnant women should stay indoors as the harmful rays can have an adverse effect on the growing baby.
You may like: What Not To Do During Surya Grahan
What to do
- Before Grahan, take a bath and then worship God, along with it, you should perform Yajna and chant.
- At the time of Chandra Grahan, cows gain merit by donating grass, food to birds, and clothing to the needy.
- Chant Gurumantra, Ishtamantra, or Bhagavanam.
- After the eclipse is over, the water and grains kept should be thrown away. After that new food is cooked and freshwater is filled and drunk.
- For the purification of clothes etc. touched during the eclipse period, after the eclipse is over, one should wash and take a bath along with the clothes themselves.
- When the eclipse of the Sun or Moon is over; one should eat only after seeing its pure image.
- Punya karma performed in the lunar eclipse (chanting, meditation, donation, etc.) is one lakh times and in a solar eclipse is a million times fruitful.
- Worship during Chandra Grahan to get rid of the evil effects of the malefic combinations of planets in the horoscope; like ‘Kaal Sarp Dosha‘.
Lunar eclipse in Hinduism
Rahu and Ketu’s influence behind the lunar eclipse of Hinduism. During the churning of the sea, there was a war between the gods and the demons to get nectar. Lord Vishnu took the form of a beautiful girl and started distributing the nectar to make sure the nectar consumed by the gods. Due to this, a demon sat down among the gods. As soon as he acquired the nectar, then the Lord Sun and Moon came to know about this. Then Sun and Moon informed Lord Vishnu, then they separated his neck from his torso with his Sudarshan Chakra. He did not die due to drinking nectar and his head and torso separated and became famous as Rahu and Ketu. Because of this event, Rahu and Ketu appear as eclipses to the Sun and Moon.