Vedas are the most important Indian scriptures written by ancient intellectuals. It describes every duty of a person born in the Vedic religion. Atharva veda is the fourth book out of the total 4 Vedas, but has been a late addition to the Vedic scriptures. It clearly describes the duty of Husband and Wife for maintaining a healthy marriage.
Duties of husband and wife in a marriage
- Atharva veda mantra 2/30/2 – Sharing is the key to a healthy marriage. Husband and Wife should share everything they come across.
- Atharva veda mantra 6/11/1- Hard work and strength should be the traits of a husband and wife should be calm and serene. This will give birth to brave and sensible progeny.
- Atharva veda mantra 6/42/1- husband and wife should be completely devoid of anger and should work together to accomplish house hold tasks.
- Atharva veda mantra 6/89/2- Compatibility should never be an issue between a husband and a wife. Love comes with understanding.
- Atharva veda mantra 7/37/1- Wife should be careful regarding keeping herself well clad and look decent. Husband should never think about any other woman.
- Atharva veda mantra 7/38/1 – Being away from her Husband’s house may create an urge in the Husband to get involved with some other female. This is said to be general human tendency.
Duties of a Wife
- Atharva veda mantra 1/14/1 – Her husband’s house should be her permanent abode. Handling situations faithfully, gently and in a learned manner will prevent problems from entering their lives.
- Atharva veda mantra 3/25/1- Being blunt and over scheduled may bring a monotonous approach to any relationship. Showing care, love and romanticism should be well understood by the wife.
- Atharva veda mantra 3/25/5- Sincerity and dedication towards her husband should be her priority.
- Atharva veda mantra 3/30/2 – The wife should always put up a sweet and sober nature.
- Atharva veda mantra 4/38/1 – Being sensual, hardworking and maintaining the daily rituals cleverly and properly should be her attitude.
- Atharva veda mantra 4/38/2 – The hard earned money by her husband should be managed by the wife. Preserving and increasing it is her duty.
- Atharva veda mantra 4/38/3- Ensuring that milk and milk products should never be a shortage should always be in her mind. Always developing the house in a positive way and maintaining a peaceful environment are her responsibilities.
- Atharva veda mantra 4/38/4- She should take care of her happiness as well and discuss it with her husband. Sorrows should not weaken her as she is the housemaker and her attitude will affect the entire household.
- Atharva veda mantra 4/38/5- She should toil from sunrise to sunset exploring and developing things.
- Atharva veda mantra 6/8/1 – A wife’s development should always be directly proportional to her husband’s growth as a creeper completely depends on the tree.
- Atharva veda mantra 6/8/3 – Even the thought of separation from her husband is a crime for her.
- Atharva veda mantra 7/47/2- It is her duty to bring in spirituality in the members of the family and always keep God’s grace on the house.
Duties of a husband
- Atharva veda mantra 1/34/5 – The husband should be sweet and affectionate such that the wife will always love him dedicatedly.
- Atharva veda mantra 2/30/4 – Nothing should be kept hidden from the wife. Maintaining transparency is his prior duty.
- Atharva veda mantra 5/25/6- Being disciplined and maintaining a pious life should always be in his mind.
- Atharva veda mantra 6/9/2 – Love, care and affection should always be shown by him towards his wife. Even at situations of sorrow and difficulty he should never be rude or treat ill to his wife.
- Atharva veda mantra 6/81/1 – Husband should lead a disciplined life and should be capable of earning money to sustain his married life.
- Atharva veda mantra 6/89/1 – His wife should always get the required respect and should be treated like a precious possession. He should always be careful about her honor.