Ganesh Chaturthi or Vinayaka Chaturthi is an important Hindu festival; dedicates to Lord of wisdom – Ganesh. It falls on Shukla Paksha Chaturthi of Hindu month of Bhadrapada. He is known as god of wisdom, prosperity and good fortune. They do their best to please Lord Ganesha and organize puja at their houses with proper puja vidhi and other ceremonial rituals. Before getting into the most thunder-ride of Ganesh Puja, let’s know about ‘How to do Ganesh puja at home on Ganesh Chaturthi’.
Ganesh Chaturthi Puja Vidhi
On Ganesh Chaturthi, people get up early in the morning, take bath and wear new cloths. Then they prepare samagris to worship Lord Ganesha with an idol of gold, silver, copper or clay. Mostly people worship him in the form of Shodashopchar method.
After worshiping, the Brahmins are offered Dakshina by offering the Moon with a low eye. In this puja, there is a law of offering 21 laddus to Lord Ganpati. According to belief, one should not look at the moon on these days.
You may like: Why lord Ganesha curse the moon?
Before go through basic steps to perform Ganesh puja at home; let’s know about subh tithi and puja muhurat of Ganesh Chatirthi.
Date and Puja Muhurat
This year in 2019, Lord Ganesha will be venerated by his beloved devotees from Monday, 02 September.
Madhyahna Ganesha Puja Muhurat – 11:24 AM to 01:52 PM
Duration – 02 Hours 28 Mins
Ganesha Visarjan on Thursday, 12 September 2019
Time to avoid Moon sighting – 09:11 AM to 09:27 PM
Duration – 12 Hours 16 Mins
Chaturthi Tithi Begins – 04:57 AM on 02 September, 2019
Chaturthi Tithi Ends – 01:54 AM on 03 September, 2019
Basic Puja Vidhi
During Ganesh Chaturthi, four divine traditional ceremonies are organised by avid followers of Hinduism to celebrate the birth anniversary of Lord Ganesha; who is the second son of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati.
The procedure of pervading the picture of Lord Ganesha into a murti or idol is the very first ritual to be performed on Ganesh Chaturthi which is stated as Pranapratishhtha. The second is Shhodashopachara observance that witnesses 16 ways to pay homage to Lord Ganesha. Uttarpuja is a conventional puja followed by shifting newly fabricated idol after its infusion. The last ritual Ganpati Visarjan is the immersion of the Ganesha murti (idol) in the nearby river, pond or sea.
How to do Ganesh Puja at home
(Step-by step process)
- At the very beginning, position the Lord Ganesha’s idol at your home temple or closer to it.
- You should install the murti or idol at the northeast corner of the house; as this brings in unity, opulence and happiness among the family members.
- The corner where the Ganesha idol has been placed should be extremely clean and arranged neatly with required puja items.
- Make sure to sprinkle holy ganga jal (water), most importantly near the area where the Idol of Lord Ganesha is fixed.
- Exhibit Lord Ganesha in a glaring and shiny outfit and also arrange diyas for the Ganesh puja.
- Set the Kalash or earthen pot in the place where idol is settled and offer the deity of Lord Ganesha with flowers with different food items.
- Arrange all items for Ganesh puja in a thali including red vermillion, altar piece of cloth, brass kalash with nariyal (coconut), gomutra (cow-pee), gangajal (holy water), rosewater, diya, ghee, dhoop stick, supari (betel nut), clove, cardamom, darbha Grass (single), puja coin (german silver), akshat, panchmeva, janeumouli, kapus vastra, honey, attar, kapur, kharik, badam, raw Haldi(turmeric).
You may like: 10 Things to Offer Ganpati Bappa
Ganesh Puja Mantra
“Om Gam Ganpataye Namah”.
“Vakratunda Maha-Kaaya Surya-Kotti Samaprabha Nirvighnam Kuru Me Deva Sarva-Kaaryeshu Sarvadaa”.
“Om Namo Siddhi Vinayakaya Sarva kaarya kartrey Sarva vighna prashamnay Sarvarjaya Vashyakarnaya Sarvajan Sarvastree Purush Aakarshanaya Shreeng Om Swaha”.
“Om Shreem Hreem Kleem Glaum Gam Ganapataye Vara Varad Sarvajan janmay Vashamanaye Swaha Tatpurushaye Vidmahe Vakratundaye Dhimahi Tanno Danti Prachodyat Om Shantih Shantih Shantihi”.
“Om Ganesh Rinnam Chhindhi Varenyam Hoong Namaah Phutt”.