Gauri Pujan is an important festival of Hindu Women; dedicates the worship of Mata Gauri. This festival is mostly celebrated in Maharashtra. It falls on the fourth or fifth day after Ganesh Chaturthi every year. This is also famous as Jyeshtha Gauri Puja and ‘Mangala Gauri Vrat‘. It is performed by both married and unmarried women. While married women pray for the long life and well being of their husbands, the unmarried women perform for getting an ideal husband. According to Hindu scriptures; Goddess Sita conducted Gauri Pujan to get Lord Rama.
Gauri Pujan Date
This auspicious festival falls on Wednesday, 13th September 2021. Gauri Pujan is a Maharashtrian festival celebrated mostly among the people of the Marathi community.
Puja Muhurat – 08:24 AM to 06:29 PM
Duration – 10 Hours 05 Mins
Jyestha Gauri Avahana on Sunday, September 12, 2021
Jyestha Gauri Visarjan on Tuesday, September 14, 2021
Jyeshtha Nakshatra Begins – 08:24 AM on Sep 13, 2021
Jyeshtha Nakshatra Ends – 07:05 AM on Sep 14, 2021
Gauri Pujan Vidhi and Procedure
Here is complete details of Gauri Pujan vidhi, basic samagri and puja procedure. It is recommended that; one should observe mangala gauri vrat on every Tuesday(Mangalvar) of Shravan Maas to perform Gauri Puja.
Must need puja samagri for Gauri Pujan
- Idols of Lord Shiva, Durga, and Ganesh
- Copper vessel for bathing the idol,
- Clothing and jewelry to be offered to the deity statue.
- Haldi, Roli, Sandalwood Paste, Gangajal
- Rice, Kumkum, Deepak, Oil, Cotton, Dhoopbatti, Ashtagandha.
- Roses, flowers, Betel Leaves and mango Leaves
- For offerings, fruits, milk, sweets, coconut, panchamrit, dry fruits, sugar, paan, dakshina, and others.
- Start by worshiping Lord Ganesha, the paramount among the gods.
- First of all, give Ganpit a bath with Ganga water.
- Then take a bath with Ganga water again from Panchamrit and wipe it with a clean cloth and keep them on the pedestal.
- After this, invite Maa Gauri to come to your house and sit on the seat.
- After offering the clothes, show them incense and lamps and offer flowers, offerings and dakshina.
- At the time of worship, chant the Gauri mantra
Gauri Pujan Mantra
Here is some special mantras for Gauri Pujan. These mantras will fulfil your other desires, besides giving you a worthy life partner.
Mantra for Suitable Groom
हे गौरी शंकरार्धागिनी यथा त्वमं शंकर प्रिया, तथा मा कुरु कल्याणी कांता कंतम सुदूरलभ्।
Chanting this mantra fulfils the desire of getting groom. By the grace of the Mother Goddess, you will soon get a suitable groom. Your life will always be happy.
Mantra for Happiness
मुनि अनुशासन गनपति हि पूजेहु शंभु भवानि, कोउ सुनि संशय करै जनि सुर अनाहि जिय जानि।
People who recite this mantra never have negative thoughts in their mind. They always think well of others, because of this the Goddess always lives in their house. There is always an atmosphere of happiness here.
Mantra for happy married life
ऊं उमामहेश्वराभ्यां नम:।
After a few years of marriage, husband-wife relationship is not as sweet as before. There is a little apathy in their relationship. In such a situation, the women who chant this mantra from the day of Gauri Pujan are happy again in their lives.
Mantra to fulfill wish
ऊं ह्ी वागवादिन भगवती ममं कार्य सिद्धि कुरु कुरु फट् स्वाहा।
Simple Puja Vidhi for Gauri Pujan
The idol of Goddess Parvati should be installed to the left of Lord Shiva. On the day of Gauri Pujan, start the method of worship by becoming holy with bath and meditation. Invoke Mata Parvati in the idol. Give Goddess Parvati a seat in your house, now bathe the Goddess first with water, then with Panchamrit and then with water.
Now offer clothes to Goddess Parvati. After clothes, wear ornament, wreath, offer perfume, do tilak, offer incense and lamp. Offer flowers and rice to Goddess Parvati. Offer a lamp of ghee or oil according to the ritual, perform aarti. Perform a circumambulation after the aarti. Now offer nevaidya. During the chanting of Goddess Parvati, keep chanting the mantra “Om Gourye Namah” or “Om Parvatayi Namah”.
Special organ worship from the step of Gauri Ma to the forehead: The law of organ worship of Maa Gauri is very fruitful. The method of worship from stage to head is called Nakhshikh Puja.
Three Day Festivity
Goddess is invoked on this day. They are respected. On the second day there is the main worship of the mother and on the third day there is a farewell to the goddess.
The reverence starts with the very first day on 15th September, stated as the Gauri Avahana, which is observed as the installation of the loving Goddess- Gauri idol in houses and other pilgrimages. Worshipers perform puja after fixing the statue and before that prepare dished for prasad- bhog for three main deities- Lord Shiva, Goddess Parvati and their Lord Ganesha.
The second day of the festivity is praised as performing Satyanarayan puja with all the specific rituals. It is advised to call a priest to perform the whole rituals of Satyanarayan puja at homes.
Gauri Visarjan is the last day, when the Mother statue of Gauri is immersed in water after Gauri Pujan, followed by pious ceremonies which is accomplished on the last of the Ganesh Chaturthi.
Significance of Gauri Pujan
Gauri worship is generally done for happiness and prosperity. Pleasing the Goddess brings happiness in the house and increases wealth. It improves husband-wife relationship. Apart from this, it removes the hurdles faced in marriage, gets a desired and suitable life partner.
Gauri Pujan Story – Vrat Katha
In ancient times, a wealthy merchant named Dharmapala lived happily with his wife in Anand Nagar. There was no shortage of money, wealth in Dharmapala’s life, but he always felt sad about one thing that he had no children. Dharmapala used to do regular worship and charity. After some time, he blessed with a son by his worshiping and good works.
Dharam Pal inquired about the future of his son and was told by the priests that his son would lead a short life. Upon learning this fact, Dharam Pal was filled with much sorrow. However, his wife consoled him and that he should have faith in Almighty and the blessings of the Lord will put everything in order. When Dharam Pal’s son grew young, he married him to a pious girl who always worshiped Mata Gauri. After marriage, the girl continued worshipping Mata Gauri and observed Gauri Pujan. It is said that Mata Gauri blessed that his husband will lead a long and healthy life.
Religious Celebration during Gauri Pujan
- During this popular female festivity- Gauri Puja/Pujan, Maharashtrian women stay awake the entire night along with their friends.
- They involve themselves in various traditional rituals and conventional plays like Zhimma and Phugdi.
- After wearing red sari, women adorn themselves in solah shringar and visit each other’s house.
- Also go to the Shiva temples to proffer flowers, fruits, holy water and prasad to the Shivlingams.
- They conduct a small pujan inside the temple and offer even a new sari to the idol of Goddess Gauri.
- Sing Mangala Gauri songs and chant her mantras the whole night to please her in every possible ways.
Lord Ganesha and Lord Shiva are also revered at these three days of the occasion Gauri Pujan along with Mata Gauri. Devotees including unmarried girls and married ladies endeavor hard to get their immense boons and blessings for a happy and gratified married life ahead.