History says that this is the day in when Lord Brahma created the universe. Hence, this day is quite important for the people following Hinduism. It falls every year on Chaitra Shukla Pratipada based on the luni-solar calendar. Maharashtrians are the major followers and observers of Gudi Padwa. The same festival is celebrated in Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh as Ugadi. According to traditions on this day new Samvatsara, which is a cycle of sixty years, starts. All sixty Samvatsara are identified by unique name.
Pratipada Tithi Begins = 04:53 pm on April 7, 2016
Pratipada Tithi Ends = 01:05 pm on April 8, 2016
- Gudi Padwa is considered to be the first day of the Indian month of Chaitra according to the lunar calendar.
- This is a celebration of the victory march of Shivaji Maharaja the veteran Maratha leader. The festival is celebrated in honor of this great king who had a kingdom that spread across the entire part of western India.
- Gudi Padwa is also considered as the harvest festival, which shows that the Rabi crop has ended for the season. This is the time when mangoes and fruits are reaped.
- It is believed that Lord Brahma created the universe on this day.
- Legend has it that Lord Vishnu took the Matsya incarnation or the form of fish on this day.
On this day people first take an oil bath and eat neem leaves, then conduct all the necessary rituals.
The festival is celebrated by preparing a mixture of six important elements each symbolizing a unique emotion and is consumed by the people.
Neem buds/flower -Sadness
Green chili- Anger
Unripened Mango- Surprise
- People clean their houses.
- Intricate rangoli designs are drawn in front of the house entrance.
- People dress up in new clothes and make arrangements for the get together’s.
- Delicacies like Shrikhand, Poori, Puran Poli and Kanagachi kheer are prepared on this day.
- The ritual of Gudhi is observed. Bright green or yellow cloth tied with a long bamboo over which gaathi (sugar crystals), neem leaves and a twig of mango leaves and a garland of red flowers is tied. A silver or copper pot is placed in the inverted position over it. This is stuck out of the window of almost every house.
Sarvasampad pradam thathaa !
Sarvarishta haram kurve
Nimba prathashanam shubham !!”
"शथयूर वज्रदेहथवम सर्वसम्पाद पदम थाहा! सर्वर्थी हराम कुर्वे निम्बा प्राणायाम शुभम !! "