Viral fever is a form of acute viral infection. This is quite common and may happen due to many external factors like season change, unhygienic conditions and much more. A viral fever leads to increase in body temperature and other side effects like headache, skin rashes and body aches. People usually run to consume the allopathic medicines and get rid of the discomfort as soon as possible. But, have you ever tried the home remedies and natural body exercise? Instead of ruining your body with heavy antibiotics, consider going the natural way. So, here are some handy home remedies to treat viral fever!
Nadi Shodan Pranayama
The best exercise to bring down your body temperature and deal with headaches. It helps to relax your nervous system. It is a simple breathing technique which cleanses the respiratory and circulatory systems.
- Sit with your spine erect and shoulders relaxed.
- Place your left hand on your left knee and loosen your palms.
- Now place the tip of your index finger and middle finger of your right hand in between your eyebrows.
- Place your ring finger and middle finger on left nostril and your thumb on the right nostril.
- You have to use the ring finger and the little finger to open and close the left nostril and thumb for the right nostril.
- Press your thumb gently on the right nostril and breath out through the left nostril.
- Now inhale from the left nostril and press the left nostril gently with your ring and little finger. Removing the right thumb from the right nostril, exhale through the right.
- Again breathe in from the right nostril and exhale from the left to complete one round of nadi shodhan pranayama. Continue breathing in and breathing out from alternate nostrils.
- Complete 9 rounds of alternatively breathing through the nostrils. Make sure you keep your eyes closed while you do the pranayama.
- While having fever you can perform this 2 to 3 times a day.
‘Shitali’ is a Sanskrit word and it means ‘cooling down’. This yoga helps in relaxing the central nervous system and hence cures fever. Steps to do the pose:
- Sit in sukhasana or padmasana.
- Bring your tongue forward such that it is pressed against your teeth from inside your mouth. Part your lips such that your teeth are visible.
- Now, inhale air through your mouth in such a way that the air is passed all over your tongue. Inhale as much air and fill up your lungs.
- Once your lungs are filled with air, exhale the air through your nostrils gradually.
- Repeat the entire practice ten times.
- While in fever you can perform this twice a day and empty stomach.
Dill seeds concentrated liquid
These are great to reduce body temperature. Due to the presence of flavonoids and monoterpenes, dill seed concentrated liquid acts as an powerful antimicrobial agent to relieve viral fever.
The liquid can be prepared by roasting a tablespoon of suva seeds, peppercorns (2 teaspoon) and kalonji (1 teaspoon). Add this mixture to a cup of boiling water and allow it to boil for 10 minutes. Strain the contents, add a pinch of cinnamon powder and drink warm.
Coriander seeds boost the immunity and fights, germs. It contains vitamins and phytonutrients, antibiotic compounds and potent volatile oils which act as an effective natural aid to combat a viral infection.
Coriander tea can be made by adding one tablespoon of coriander seeds to a glass of water. Boil this solution and allow it to cool, strain and add little milk and sugar. Drink this tea to relieve the symptoms of viral fever.
These are the best and most effective medicinal leaves. These leaves have antibacterial, germicidal, anti-biotic and fungicidal properties.
All you need to do is to boil around 20 fresh and clean Tulsi leaves in one liter of water with half a spoon of clove powder. Allow the solution to boil till the water reduces to half. Drink this decoction every two hours.
Ginger is a very powerful root. It has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and analgesic properties to ease the symptoms of viral fever.
Either chew dry ginger along with honey or extract the pure ginger juice and mix it with one spoon of honey and drink it. It is believed to act as a paracetamol. Drink or eat this for at least 4 times a day.
Fenugreek seeds have medicinal compounds like diosgenin, saponins and alkaloids. Fenugreek is very helpful to reduce fever and other symptoms associated with viral infection.
Soak one tablespoon of fenugreek seeds in a half cup of water overnight. In the morning, strain this solution and sip this drink at regular intervals to treat viral fever. You can also consume a mixture of fenugreek seeds, lemon and honey in the morning.