Peepal tree or Pipal (Ficus Religiosa) is considered to be one of the most sacred trees in our Hindu culture since ages. Even Jains and Budhists worship the Peepal tree. Since ancient times it is said that when there is no hope left for a particular thing or output you expect is not attained, then peepal tree can come to your rescue. All your worries can flush away if you make offerings to the tree and perform certain rituals.
How does it look
It’s a large semi-evergreen tree with heavy and wide trunk. The tree can grow up to 30 metres (98 ft). It has light gray bark which is smooth and peels in patches. The leaves are long and are heart-shaped with tapering tips. It produces fruits which are look like small balls and is purple when ripe.
Where is it found
You can find this in Indian subcontinent, south-west China and Indochina. Mostly because the atmospheric conditions in these places favours its growth.
Certain reasons, why is it considered to be the most sacred tree
- In the Bhagavad Gita, Krishna says, “I am the Peepal tree(ashvattha) among the trees. Hence people consider it to be Lord Vishnu.
- It is believed that in the tree there reside – The Trimurti
- The roots being Brahma
- The trunk Vishnu and
- The leaves Shiva
- Said to be the abode of God and our ancestors.
- Is a source of energy and eradicates negative vibes.
- Well known for its healing qualities. (medicinal values)
- Considered to be a source of good health, luck, fortune, child birth, wisdom.
Which sectors of your life can change by its worship
- Marriage (removes all the unnecessary troubles in your marriage)
- Children (helpful for the growth and development of your children)
- Makes you a better human being by bringing stability in thoughts and action.
- Improve the money inflow (develop your business or upgrade you job skills).
- Brings in luck, fortune and intelligence.
- Health (Eradicate all health related issues or disorders)
- Horoscope issues can be resolved. (eg: Mangal dosh, Navagrah badha, Shani sadesati, Rahu and Ketu issues)
Things to do according to the grahs prevailing in your life
- Moon: Take bath after putting the wood of Peepal tree in your bathing water.
- Mangal grah: Offer water from copper vessel and take 8 rounds of the divine tree.
- Mercury: Offer green lentil (masoor) on Wednesday and take 3 rounds around the tree. Along with that offer a diya of chameli oil.
- Jupiter: Exploit the colour yellow. On a Thursady offer yellow sweets, turmeric water, and yellow flowers. Offer a mix of milk and water to a Peepal tree during evening.
- Rahu: Offer honey to the tree on Saturday.
- Ketu: Offer gangajal and light a Deepak of alsi oil.
- Shani: On every Saturday offer jaggery water mixed with raw milk, light up incense stick and go around the tree 7 times, light diya with mustard oil in the evening.
Rituals to follow to eradicate specific problem situations
- Women tie red dhaga or cloth around the trunk of the tree to attain a son.
- It is worshiped on Saturdays to obtain wealth since it is said that goddess Lakshmi sits under the tree on that specific day.
- Earn benefits for your children by watering the plant.
- By establishing a shivling under the Peepal tree and worshiping it regularly you can earn materialistic happiness.
- Recite Hanuman Chalisa sitting under a Peepal tree to attain a positive soul.
- Take 11 leaves of a Peepal tree, sit under the tree and write Sri Ram with Chandan paste on each of the leaves. Offer them to Lord Hanuman to get freed from all obstacles and hindrances.
- If business is not booming worship Peepal tree on Monday. Pluck a fresh leaf and put it in the cashbox Wood of Peepal tree is used for Grah Shanti pooja. On Saturday take a peepal leave and engrave a swastika sign in it with sandalwood paste. Put it under your seat where you work and perform it till upcoming 7 Saturdays. On the eighth Saturday collect all these 7 leaves and drop them off at a secluded spot.
- Chronic illness or diseases can be nullified if you water the tree daily as well as touch the root of the tree with your left hand. The concerned person can also keep a peepal leaf under his pillow.
- Couples who are not able to give birth to a child can take a peepal leaf and dip it in water for atleast an hour. Take the leaf out and keep it under a tree. The couple should then drink the water and it will surely be beneficial.
- If afflicted with Forefather’s debts then water the peepal tree till 43 days except for Sundays.
- If you are not able to prosper in life the worship by offering a diya of camphor (kapoor).
- If you seem to have Manglik dosha then soak the leaves of Peepal tree and take bath with that water.
It’s not just that it is religiously significant but it also has great scientific importance. Peepal tree emanates a great amount of oxygen. Going around the tree during morning hours is said to give the worshiper abundance of oxygen supply. This tree is also said to possess a good amount of medicinal properties. Its leaves, wood, roots and bark are the source of remedy for many diseases. The parts of this plant also dominate the Ayurvedic studies.