Saptasati – the holy book of puja procedure of Devi; has explained certain interesting facts about Goddess Durga and the rituals to be followed during Navratri. From Mahalaya day the grand Durga Puja countdown begins. In Hindu tradition from New Moon to Full Moon of Bhadra, the fifteen days period is known as the Goddess Period or Devi Paksha. In this period Hindus believe, is the best time to do any sacred work.
Traditionally Durga Puja used to be practiced during springtime by King Suratha. That is why it is also known as Basanti Puja. According to Purana on this day Lord Rama worshipped Devi Durga before departing for Lanka to kill the demon Ravana. Lord Rama worshipped Devi Durga in the autumn state (the tithi of shasthi) – where all the Gods and Goddesses are asleep; that is why it is also known as Untimely Worshipping or Akaal ‘Bodhan’. He performed this puja as he needed the help of the Goddess – the power she possessed.
This power was needed to kill the very strong and wittyy demon Ravana. It is known as Akaal Bodhan as it was the time when Lord Rama worshipped Devi Durga. This is said to be the period where God and Goddess are in the awakened state. This period falls on the Paush month and lasts till the 9th Asadh.
There’s another major Hindu ritual which is observed during this period that is Pitru Paksha as this is the time when Pitras arise. It is not just the Pitras who get satisfied during this time but also other living things starting from an ameba to trees get satisfaction.
Lord Rama had performed this Maha Puja in Shasthi Tithi during the evening to awaken the power.
From next day onwards ‘Devi Pakshaya’ starts. It is the period of 9 days which is more famously known as Navratri. The 9 days depict 9 Goddesses and forms of power.
- Navratri 1st Day: (Pratipada)- Sunday, 29 September 2019 – Ghatsthapana, Shailputri Puja
- Navratri 2nd Day: (Dwitiya) – Monday, 30 September 2019 – Brahmacharini Puja, Sindhara Dooj
- Navratri 3rd Day: (Tritiya) – Tuesday, 01 October 2019 – Chandraghanta Puja
- Navratri 4th Day: (Chaturthi) – Wednesday, 02 October 2019 – Kushmanda Puja
- Navratri 5th Day: (Panchami) – Thursday, 03 October 2019 – Skandamata Puja, Naag Puja, Laxmi Panchami, Skanda Sashti
- Navratri 6th Day: (Shashthi) – Friday, 04 October 2019 – Katyayani Puja, Yamuna Chhath
- Navratri 7th Day: (Maha Saptami) – Saturday, 05 October 2019 – Kalaratri Puja, Maha Saptami
- Navratri 8th Day: (Maha Ashtami) – Sunday, 06 October 2019 – Mahagauri Puja, Durga Ashtami, Annapurna Ashtami, Rama Navami
- Navratri 9th Day: (Maha Navami) – Monday, 07 October 2019 – Navaratri Parana, Siddhidatri Puja