Shani is often blamed for bringing bad luck and troubles. He has been one of the most feared planets in Hindu mythology and it is known to show no mercy for one’s sins. Born to Surya Dev or Sun God and Chhaya or Goddess of Shade, Shani Dev more than they fear his brother Yama, the God of death. Shani rewards or punishes one for his deeds during his life while Yama is said to judge sinners in their after-life.
Surya Dev or Sun God had two sons, Yama and Shani. His mother was Chhaya, and hence is also known as Chhayaputra. Shani Dev represents the planet Saturn and is the lord of Saturdays. His elder brother Yama is also known as God of death. While Yama, gives the results of one’s deeds after death, Shani is known to give one the fruits of his deeds in his present life itself. He is also referred to as Saura, Pangu, Mandu, Kruradris, Asita and Saptarchi.
People fear Shani more than they fear his brother Yama, the God of death. While Shani is known to reward or punish one for his deeds during his life; Yama is said to judge sinners in their after-life.
Related Topics: Know why we should fear Lord Shani ?
At the time of birth of a Hindu child, the position of his astrological planets is determined, to have an account of his future. Hindus give high importance to the effect of planets on one’s life. Saturn or Shani is one such planet, which is feared the most. It is considered the bearer of bad luck.
When Shani is in close proximity of the Moon, its said have started a reign of seven and a half years over the person’s birth chart, also known as Shani sade-sati. According to Vedic astrology, this period is considered a troublesome time for one’s life. This person may face a lot of challenges, may face failure, accidents, health and money related problems. They also regard this period as a life changing one.
But contrary to popular belief, Shani is more easily pleased that any other graha. Because of his apparent strict behavior, he owns a bad reputation. But due to this strict nature, he is controlling future bad behavior and frees oneself from sin.
Shani is your purpose in life, it is your life plan, the work you do or the direction you take. It is your objective, your goal and the lessons you must learn along the way. It is the foundation on which you build your life.
You must Like: The Shani Mahatma
Praying to Shani Dev on Saturdays is considered to bring the malefic effects of sade-sati period. Here are some ways to cure Shani dosh:
- Lighting mustard oil or sesame oil lamps in Shani temple on Saturdays.
- Distributing home-made curd rice to the poor or to devotees at Shani mandir on Saturday.
- In some sesame or til oil, put some black sesame seeds and black urad dal, in a container. Pour this oil on a metal figurine of Shanidev at Shani temple on Saturday.
- Avoid buying metal on Saturday.
- Donate chappals, blankets to poor on Saturday.
- It is said that by chanting Shani chalisa, one is blessed with patience, humility, and tolerance through the period of Shani sade-sati.
- Wearing Shani gemstones, like blue sapphire, on the left-hand middle finger on Saturday makes the wearer intuitive, intelligent and charismatic. It leads to the development of good judgment.
- Using energized Shani yantras. It is highly recommended for relief during sade-sati phase, success in business and worldly affairs and increasing mental and emotional strength.
- Chanting the Mrityunjaya Mantra once before starting the day, is known to protect from the fear of accidents, decreases etc.
“Om Thryambakam Yajamahe
For more detals on: Easy Way To Impress Lord Shani.
Expressing true devotion to Shani Dev helps solve all problems relating to health, family life, mind, money, and work. Nevertheless, this period of Shani sade-sati, will always have a reputation of being a tough time, when everything supposedly will go wrong. It is seen as both a destroyer and a giver. Worshiping Shani sincerely on Shani Amavasya or Shani Jayanti blesses one with a life sans obstructions, and fulfillment of all wishes.