|Shani Jayanti marks the birth anniversary of Lord Shani. It is observed on Vaishak Vadya Chaturdasi Amavasya.|
|Also called||Shanishchara Jayanti|
|Observances||Shani Puja, Vrat, Chanting, and Donation|
|2021 Date||Thursday, 10 June|
|2022 Date||Monday, 30 May|
Shani Jayanti marks the birth anniversary of Lord Shani. It is observed on Vaishak Vadya Chaturdasi Amavasya. Lord Shani is the most feared God in Hindu Folklore and is considered to be the Karma (deeds) Guru/Mentor for the worshippers. It is also popular as the ‘Lord of Saturday and is famed as one of the nine primary celestial bodies (Navgrahas) of the Universe. Shani Deva is better-known as- Śanaiścara (शनैश्चर) therefore this eminent day is also noted as Shanishchara Jayanti.
Shanishchara Jayanti or Shani Amavasya is considered a divine day to worship Lord Shani. It is also presumed that, on this propitious day, Lord Shani was appeared on Earth to give blessing to his avid devotees.
Worship is all about establishing a connection between Lord and doing such deeds which will bring peace and bliss to anyone’s life apart from all vedic/religious rituals in our Sanatan Dharma.
Shani Jayanti Puja Timings
Amavasya Tithi Begins = 12:27 PM on Jun 09, 2021
Amavasya Tithi Ends = 02:52 PM on Jun 10, 2021
As per the astrological predictions, Lord Shani is popularly known as Saturn. In Hinduism, vehement devotees offer their prayers to impress Shani Deva by following numerous religious customs. They follow strict traditional rituals to protect one from inadequate omens. It is esteemed as a very important and holy day to cleanse all your Deeds and Karmas and takes care of any kind of astrological doshas.
Puja procedure & puja vidhi at Home
- Keep an iron Statue or an image of Lord Shani in your temple.
- It is considered very auspicious to esteem Lord Shiva, Hanumana, and Lord Ganesha along with Lord Shani on this opportune day.
- Ideally, it is suggested to place idols of these gods inside the main sanctum-sanctorum.
- Mix some Sesame seeds and Til Ka Tel in the water before taking a holy bath.
- Wear Black Clothes to impress Lord Shani.
- Can observe a strict fast as well.
- One should also meditate and follow the Path of Enlightenment for inner- peace and satisfaction.
- Offer Blue flowers and Bhoga to the idol.
- Proffer black til seeds, black muslin cloth, castor oil, black channa, and iron nails.
- Chant the Shani Deva Shloka for 11,000 times “OM PRAM PRIM PROM SAH SHANAYE NAMAH” or Om Sanaischaraya Vidmahe Sooryaputraya Dheemahi, Tanno Manda Prachodayata.
- All the things worshiped should be distributed among the poor and necessitous.
- Feed a black dog, a crow, or other animals.
Significance of Shani Jayanti:
- This favorable day brings in good luck, riches, and happiness in one’s life.
- Removes all types of difficulties and obstacles from the Success Path.
- If one observes Fast (Vrata) on this felicitous day can relish trouble and hurdle-free life.
- It is often suggested to visit Shani temples and Lord Shiva Temples for the betterment.
- Light a lamp of Sesame (til) oil and perform Shani Taila Abisekham on the iron image.
- Please the God by Offering Blue flowers and Sesame Oil.
- Minimizes the impacts of Shani Dosha and Pitra Dosh.
- Recite Shani Stotra to pay homage to Lord Shani. Shani mantra for 108 times can bring peace and stillness.
- Perform Shani Graha Pooja and Homa for protection from Doshas.
- It also cleanses one mind, Soul, and shields from the impurities, black magic, and the Buri Nazar Effect (evil eye).
- You should donate clothes to Poverty-stricken to prevent misfortunes and can feed Dogs, ants, crows to impress Lord Shani.
- Pooja to Shani can give relief from all kinds of sufferings caused by Malefic Saturn or Shani and neutralize the bad effects of the planet.
It is believed that donating black clothes, black til or sesame, mustard or sesame oil on this day is beneficial. Shani Jayanti also coincides with Vat Savitri Vrat, which falls on Jyeshta Amavasya, and is celebrated in Northern India.
Must Know facts about Lord Shani:
The Shani Mahatma – Is Lord Shani Harmful? OR a ‘Friend’!
Legend of Lord Shani: Story behind the most feared God