Fasting during Hindu festivals is very common among people following Hinduism. They believe that keeping fasts fulfill their wishes and show their devotion to the Gods and Goddesses. Navratri is an auspicious Hindu Festival dedicated to 9 divine forms of Goddess Durga, also known as NavDurga. Let me reveal the actual truth behind why our ancestors had started the ritual of Navratri fasting.
Those who think that the rituals, vidhis and sanskaram’s are all waste of time and money, then I must say that you are wrong! It’s just that with time, the real value and procedures of these very precious practices are lost.
Some of them have been completely transformed according to the comfort level of people and some have been manipulated. Now, see what are the plus points of fasting.
This procedure also brings in positive attitude of controlling your 9 desires
- Fasting was a major part of many great people who have done years of severe penance and attained miracles. It has the ability to invoke eternal happiness and bliss.
- It is advised that you should involve in certain meditation during fasting. It will enable detoxing whilst also the working on the mental and spiritual levels.
- The current food habits create hypertension and cardiovascular problems. Fasting helps the body desalt and dilute the body.
- This procedure of staying without or with light food also eliminates gas, lightens the body, improves mental clarity, provides a clean tongue and fresh breath, and preserves overall health.
- Scientifically, fasting is an effective way to kindle the digestive fire and burn away accumulated toxins from the body and mind.
- It also acts as a mental peace booster by enabling us to stay away from the regularly overburdened body and cravings.
- Therapists claim that it has the capacity to instill virtues like self-discipline and calmness.
- Fasting facilitates spiritual purification leading to a stronger willpower.
- Spiritually it is also believed that: Lust, Anger, Greed, Attachment, Ego, Fear, Jealousy, Inertia, Hate and Guilty.
The period of Navratri always falls on the time of season change and this is the time when our body has low immunity and is most susceptible to fall sick. Hence, fasting will keep away the negative energies to be absorbed.Know all about Sharada Navratri and Navratri mantras for all nine days.