The sacred white thread also known as Janaeu is a thin cord, donned by Brahmin boys after they reach the age of 12. Wearing the Janeu is part of their 16 Sanskaar as prescribed by Hinduism. The janeu is worn during an Upanayan Sanskar and is the 10th Sanskaar of the Santana Dharma of the Hindu religion. The Janaeu is regarded as a symbol of the sacred vision to see things in a just way. Lets explore the science behind sacred thread Janaeu.
A lot of people are unaware of the science and the benefits of wearing this sacred thread. Let’s have a look at some of them:
- If a Janeu is tied on one’s ears it helps increases one’s memory and also helps in preventing constipation and keeps the stomach disease-free.
- The three threads that make a Janeu represent the Goddess of strength i.e. Parvati, Goddess of wealth i.e. Lakshmi and the Goddess of knowledge i.e. Saraswati. It is said that one can only have a good life if he has these three characteristics that attribute to these 3 deities.
- There is a popular belief that if one wears a Janeu, then one will be guarded from any negative vibe or thoughts throughout one’s life.
- There is a proven scientific study which shows that those who wear a Janeu do not have blood pressure related illness, to those who don’t wear it.
- Purifies the though process of a Brahmin boy and increases and stimulates his ability to gain knowledge.
- Helps one attain moksha or salvation after death.
- It is said that after the Upanayan ceremony a Brahmin can start performing poojas and other rituals.
Here are some other interesting facts relating to the sacred thread or Jane :
- It is said that once it is worn the Janeu is not supposed to be removed from one’s body.
- If for some reason, the thread breaks or is lost, then a new thread should be tied instead and the old one shouldn’t be reused.
- Young unmarried boys wear sacred threads with 3 strands. The married men wear sacred threads with 6 strands. And men whose parents are no longer alive wear threads with 9 strands.
- The Gayatri mantra is chanted before wearing the thread, the Gayatri mantra is as follows:
|| Om bhur bhuvah svah
bhargo devasya dhimahi
dhiyo yo nah pracodayat ||
- It is one’s prime responsibility to keep the sacred thread clean and sanitary.