Dusshera also known as Vijayadashami is one of the major festivals practiced in India. People worship the great Goddesses with a lot of pomp and show.
Origin Of Dusshera Puja
- This day marks the death of the most evil creature on existence that is Ravana. Ram an incarnation of Lord Vishnu had killed Ravana on this particular day since he had abducted Goddess Sita.
- This day also states the victory of Goddess Durga over the demon Mahishasura after fighting for consecutive nine nights and ten days. It is said that Mahisasura was destroying the Devlok and hence Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva together created a bolt of lightning from which Goddess Durga was formed. She was beautiful and mild but took a fierce avatar to kill the destructive demon.
Ashvin Shukla Dashami is the time when Dusshera is celebrated. This year on 2106 Dusshera falls on the 10th of October.
Puja vidhi or Celebrations
For worshipping Goddess Durga
- Establish a photo or deity of Goddess Durga.
- Lit an oil lamp and incense sticks.
- Wear yellow clothes during the puja.
- Use a Rudraksh and chant the Mul mantra till 11 malas.
- Consider singing the Durga aarti as well.
- Offer dakshina and food to little girls and Brahmans.
Northern India observes Ramlila where the entire Ramayana is depicted in a short play. At the end of Ramlila people burn figures and dummies depicting the demon Ravana. It is believed that on this day all the evils from the world are burnt and is the perfect time for a fresh and positive start.
Om Bhrim Maa Mahismardini Swaha||
Namo Durga Mahadurge Navdurgaswaroopini
Kaivalyavasini Devi Shantadurge Namostu Te||
|| OM KLEEM KREEM AIM SHATRU NASHAY PHAT|| (This is the mul mantra for Vijayadashami)