Varalakshmi Vratam is a popular Hindu fasting festival dedicated to the goddess of wealth and prosperity – Lakshmi. It is famous in the Indian states of Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Tamil Nadu, and Maharashtra. This puja celebrates on the Friday before Shravan Purnima. In 2020, Varalakshmi Vratam falls on Friday, 31 July.
Varalakshmi Vratam is observed by married women for the well-being of their husbands and family members. Goddess Varalakshmi Puja on this day is equivalent to worshipping Ashtalakshmi i.e. the eight Goddesses of Wealth (Sri), Earth (Bhu), Learning (Saraswati), Love (Priti), Fame (Kirti), Peace (Shanti), Pleasure (Tushti) and Strength (Pushti).
Devotees believe that Goddess Parvati observed rigorous fasting for Lord Parameshwara and for the happiness and prosperity of her family. On this day, a special Lakshmi Puja is performed in order to please the goddess of fortune auspiciousness.
Once when Maa Parvati asked Lord Shiva to explain about a vrat that can confer the greatest of merits to the observer Lord Shiva shared the information about Varalakshmi Vratham thereby making this one of the most beneficial kinds of vrat observed. Once there lived a highly pious and devout housewife named Charumathi. Pleased with her steadfastness and virtues, once Mahalakshmi appeared in her dream and directed her to observe Varalakshmi Vratham. Charumathi made all the preparations, invited her neighbors, friends, and relatives, and performed the puja as directed.
How to perform Varalakshmi Puja
Varalakshmi means the one who grants wishes. The married women perform this puja for the well being of all their family members, especially the husband, to get progeny, etc. The fasting period starts on Friday morning from sunrise. And ends when the pooja is completed.
- The face of Goddess Lakshmi/Pot
- New blouse pieces for Kalasham
- Maamidi Thoranam (Mango leaves garland)
- Akshatha – Rice mixed with turmeric
- Turmeric powder
- Betel leaves – Thamalapaakulu
- Dry Fruits
- Fruits and Flowers
- Naivedyams (Payasam, Kesari Bath, Jaggery Rice)
- Preparation for the Varalakshmi puja starts by decorating the silver or bronze kalasham or Kalash as it symbolically represents Goddess Lakshmi.
- Each family has its own way of decorating the kalasham using various things like saree, silk clothes, jewelry, bangles, turmeric, kumkum & many more.
- On the day, one can observe fast without taking grains but only water.
- If water-only fast it difficult to perform, you can take fruits and milk.
- You may visit a Lakshmi temple and offer prayers. If a temple is not around, you can worship the goddess at your home in the early morning. Worship the idols of Lord Lakshmi with lotus, roses, fruits, and dhoop.
- You can worship Goddess Lakshmi by using or meditating on energized Lakshmi Yantras.
Varalakshmi Puja Mantra
One can simply meditate on Goddess Lakshmi and chant Her seed mantra: ‘ॐ ह्रीं श्रीं लक्ष्मीभयो नमः॥ Om Hreem Shreem Lakshmibhayo Namah॥
You can also chant Lakshmi Mantra on the Lotus Seed bead.
You can also perform a Mahalakshmi Puja under qualified Brahmins. The puja includes Kalash Sthapana, Panchang Sthapana (Gauri Ganesh, Punyavachan, Shodash Matrika, Navgraha, Sarvotabhadra), 64 yogini Pujan, Shetrapal Pujan, Swasti Vachan, Sankalpa, Ganesh Pujan and Abhishek, Navgraha Pujan and 108 chants of each planetary mantra, Invocation of major Gods and Goddesses in Kalash, Laxmi Idol Abhishek and Pujan, Laxmi Yantra Puja, Recitation of Lakshmi Suktam, Lakshmi Stotram Mantra and Recitation of Kanakdhara Strotra, Lakshmi Mantra Japa, Laxmi Homa, Aarti and Pushpaanjali.
You can wear a Seven Mukhi Rudraksha beads; as it is ruled by Goddess Lakshmi. Wearing these Rudraksha beads on this day purifies your inner self and strengthens your will power as well as attracts financial opportunities.
Mantra For Wealth:
ॐ सर्वाबाधा विनिर्मुक्तो, धन धान्यः सुतान्वितः।
मनुष्यो मत्प्रसादेन भविष्यति न संशयः ॐ ।।
Om Sarvabaadhaa Vinirmukto, Dhan Dhaanyah Sutaanvitah |
Manushyo Matprasaaden Bhavishyati Na Sanshayah Om ||
Meaning: We offer our obeisance to Goddess Lakshmi who eradicates all evil forces. Kindly bestow upon wealth, riches, and all a prosperous and a better future.
Mantra For Overall Success:
ॐ श्री महालक्ष्म्यै च विद्महे विष्णु पत्न्यै च धीमहि।
तन्नो लक्ष्मी प्रचोदयात् ॐ ।।
Om Shree Mahalakshmyai Cha Vidraahe Vishnu Patrayai Cha Dheemahi ।
Tanno Lakshmi Prachodayat Om ||
Meaning: “We meditate on the greatest Goddess, Who is the divine consort of Lord Vishnu. Kindly bless us with higher intellect, abundance, and prosperity.”
Varalakshmi Vratam Tips(Point to Remember)
- We know how hungry you can get when you finally break the fast but remember, your body needs good food and not overly calorie-loaded dishes. So, start with something light like roasted vegetables, a bowl of curd instead of feasting on a plate full of your favorite dishes.
- If you have any health conditions like diabetes, heart disease, etc, it is best to check with your doctor before you observe a fast as it can have ill-effects on your health.
- Nowadays, there may be people who may not want to perform the puja. Don’t force anyone to perform this puja. As the results can only be availed if the Puja is done with a willing and devoted mind.
- The Pooja should not be performed by a lady who has recently given birth and the baby is not yet 22 days old as it is considered inappropriate.
Date and Puja Muhurat
Varalakshmi Vratam falls on the Friday before the full moon day of Shravan Maas. In 2020 it is celebrated on 31st July.
Varalakshmi Vratam on Friday, July 31, 2020
Simha Lagna Puja Muhurat (morning) – 06:59 AM to 09:17 AM
Duration – 02 Hours 17 Mins
Vrishchika Lagna Puja Muhurat (afternoon) – 01:53 PM to 04:11 PM
Duration – 02 Hours 19 Mins
Kumbha Lagna Puja Muhurat (evening) – 07:57 PM to 09:25 PM
Duration – 01 Hour 27 Mins
Vrishabha Lagna Puja Muhurat (midnight) – 12:25 AM to 02:21 AM, Aug 01
Duration – 01 Hour 56 Mins
Note: Muhurat can be varied as per your geo-location. To find an accurate puja muhurat for your location; you may consult your pandit or visit Jyotirvid.in.
It can confer great benefits including health, wealth, happiness, long life, social status, success, and others. Worship the Goddess Varalakshmi on this day is equivalent to worshiping Ashtalakshmi – the eight goddesses of Wealth, Earth, Wisdom, Love, Fame, Peace, Contentment, and Strength. Lord Vishnu is the asylum for the eight-Lakshmis or forces and each force is called a ‘Lakshmi’
- Aadi Lakshmi (the Protector).
- Dhana Lakshmi (Goddess of Wealth).
- Dhairya Lakshmi (Goddess of Courage).
- Sowbhagya Lakshmi (Goddess of Prosperity).
- Vijaya Lakshmi (Goddess of Victory).
- Dhanya Lakshmi (Goddess of Nourishment).
- Santana Lakshmi (Goddess of Progeny).
- Vidhya Lakshmi (Goddess of Wisdom).
Bhajans and kirtans are sung in praise of the Goddess and the Prashad is shared with all the members at home. Some benefits of performing Varalakshmi Vratam are listed below
- Protects from evil powers.
- Blesses with wealth, and gives relief from debts.
- Gives strength, patience, and courage.
- Brings peace and prosperity.
- Helps to achieve success.
- Get rid of Health problems.
- Brings happiness into the family and a healthy newborn.
- Provides immense knowledge, wisdom.