Vat Savitri Puja is a very significant festival for the Hindu women. This is mainly celebrated by the women belonging to Eastern India i.e. Orissa. Some parts of Northern India also consider this to be a significant festival. It is observed by the married women for the well-being, prosperity, and longevity of their husbands. The fasting is based on the devotion and determination shown by Savitri to win back her husband Satyavan from the clutches of Yama. Savitri is the most burning example of a dedicated and loving wife. Her stories are sung from generation to generation and she always stands as a role model for every married Indian woman.
Savitri Vrat special – The True Love Story Of Savitri And Satyavan
Usually, the prayer and pujas associated with Vat Savitri are observed at the community level or individually at home. Banyan tree is considered to be the main idol of this festival which symbolically represents Lord Brahma, Lord Vishnu, and Lord Shiva. The root represents Lord Brahma, the stem represents Lord Vishnu and the upper portion is Lord Shiva. Vat Savitri Vrat Fasting begins on the Trayodashi day of Jyeshtha month and ends on Purnima. The fast is broken on the fourth day. Nowadays, many women observe the fasting only on the day of Purnima. On 2017 Vat Savitri is observed on 24th May by Eastern India and on 25th May bu Northern India. The muhurta for the puja are:
Amavasya Tithi Begins = 05:07 on 25/May/2017
Amavasya Tithi Ends = 01:14 on 26/May/2017
Rituals followed on Vat Savitri
- On the morning of Trayodashi day, women apply a paste of Aavla which is the Indian gooseberry and sesamum before taking the bath.
- Women perform fast on this day. Only fruits and milk can be consumed, that too after the puja.
- In some places, the fast is broken after offering water to moon and prayers to Savitri.
- Women also distribute food, clothes, and money to the poor.
- Women wear new clothes and jewelry and put all the solha shringars mentioned by our Puranas. In some parts of India women also take up the bridal attire.
- Establish idol of Devi Savitri in another Vessel and decorate this vessel with dhoop, deep, Gandha, Akshat. Then worship it.
- They offer prayers to Banyan Tree which is known as the Vat Vriksha. Offerings of water, Akshat, Abil, Dhoop, Deep, Kumkum, and flowers are made to the Banyan Tree.
- Women tie red or yellow colored raw cotton thread around the tree.
- Parikrama again forms a major part of the ritual where they go around the tree several times and chant prayers.
- ‘Vat Sijhchami Te Moolam Salilairmritopamaih
Yatha Shakha Prashakha Bhivridou Asi Tvam Mahitale
Yatha Putreshcha Sampannam Kuru Mam Sada
- While performing the parikrama chant this mantra
- It is very significant to listen to the story of Savitri and Satyavan during the puja.
- After worship, feed Brahmans and donate them cloths to accept their blessings. Feed birds or other pious animals like a cow.
Must Read Topics: Savitri Vrat Katha in Hindi
Mantra for Vat Savitri
‘Avaidvayam Cha Saubhagyam Dehi Tvam Mam Sruvate |
Putran Pautrashchva Cha Guhanaghyn Namostu Te ||’
Women who desire for a child should recite this Mantra:
‘Putreshcha Poutreshcha Sampannam Kuru Mam Sada |
It is believed that Vat Savitri Vrat even can turn the utmost bad fortune of a lady into a good one. With Vat Savitri Vrat, even a lady with her poor fortune can achieve the zenith of happiness, comforts of the world, and a relaxed life full of joy.
Indian ancient Scriptures reflected the above-mentioned benefits of Vat Savitri Vrat in the form of given Stanzas…
Savitryadivratadeeni Bhaktya Kurventi Yah Striyah |
Saubhagya Cha Suhtvam Cha Bhavet Tasam Susngatih ||