Dev Diwali is two weeks festivity
commemorated after the main festival of lights- Diwali. Dev Diwali is also
famous as Dev Deepawali or Tripurotsav. This big festival
celebrates the death of demon “Tripurasur” killed by Lord Shiva, therefore it
is also referred to as Tripurotsav. Dev
Diwali is observed on Shukla Pratipada
during Kartik Purnima which is the
first day of the bright fortnight of Margashirsha
with accordance to Hindu Lunar calendar. This year in 2018, Dev Diwali will fall
on Thursday, 22 November. It is a belief that, gods, goddesses and divinities
visit these popular Ghats at the time of Dev Diwali to give blessings.
timings of Dev Diwali:
On the days of Dev diwali, gods are offered maha-naivedya of five sweetmeats and dishes. Let’s take a look to the Shubh Muhurat for the holy observance of Dev Diwali Festival in the month of November in 2018 which will be exalted on the date of 22nd (Thursday).
Purnima Tithi will start by 12:53 on 22nd November in 2018 and ends by 11:09 on 23rd November.
Significance of the Festival:
• On the occasion of Dev Diwali, each Ghat (bank of the rivers) including the Ganges in Varanasi, Rishikesh, Haridwar and many other prominent cities solemnize this very illustrious festival and devotees lit earthen lamps, oil lamps and diyas in riversides.
• Almost, every sacred ghats glorifies this vibrant 14-15 days festivities and enthusiasts organise notable spiritual events and cultural programmes.
• Tourists and admirers come a long way (from across the world) to witness the allure of this marvellous festivity and involve themselves in ceremonial functions and sacraments including the boat ride which to welcome lords descend on the Ghats.
• Devotees also take a holy dip in Ganges on the propitious festivity of Kartik Purnima and light Diyas and oil lamps in the evening time to get rid of all the wrong doings and sins done in the past time.
• Worshippers also perform puja and other sacraments to please Lord Shiva and other deities.