Devutthan Ekadashi or Prabodhini Ekadashi and Devuthani Ekadashi are most important in Hindu culture. This Ekadashi is celebrated on the eleventh day of the Shukla Paksha of Kartik in the Hindu month. According to the legends, Lord Vishnu sleeps on the eve of Ekadashi of Shukla Paksha of Ashadha month. This evening lasts for four months. And due to this period, a person cannot do any auspicious work. And all auspicious and religious work can be done only when Lord Vishnu wakes up.
Devutthan Ekadashi is celebrated in India on the eleventh day of the lunar fortnight of Kartik Shukla Paksha. In the year 2021, Dev Utthan Ekadashi falls on Sunday, 14 November.
- Lord Vishnu is worshiped on the day of Devutthan Ekadashi and he is called upon to wake up.
- Take a bath after cleaning the house. After that draw the shape of the feet of Lord Vishnu in the courtyard.
- On this day, wake up early in the morning and observe a fast, and Lord Vishnu is worshipped.
- After that, keep fruits, sweets, plum, water chestnut, seasonal fruit, and sugarcane at that place, and cover it with a nugget.
- During the night, all the members of the family are worshiped to all the deities including Lord Vishnu.
- After this, God should lift the conch shell, bell, and gong and say this sentence, again and again, to get up Deva, Baitha Deva, Anguria Chatkao Deva, new yarn, new cotton, God lifts Kartik month.
- And then the mantra should be chanted while invoking the Lord.
There is a ritual to perform Tulsi Vivah on the eve of Prabodhini Ekadashi. Tulsi Vivah takes place between Lord Shaligram (incarnation of Lord Vishnu) and Tulsi (sacred plant). Tulsi is also revered as 'Vishnu Priya'. According to legends and Hindu texts, couples who do not have a daughter or a girl child as a child must perform Tulsi Vivah once in their lifetime to earn the benefit of Kanyadaan.
Once upon a time, Goddess Lakshmi said to Lord Vishnu - 'Oh my God! Your erratic sleep and awakening times disturb the whole world. You sometimes sleep for years. And sometimes you stay awake for many days and nights. Because of this everything on earth is starting to get disrupted. It is hindering my relaxation and I am not able to rest. That's why I am telling you that you should sleep on time, otherwise the whole world will have to face problems.
Lord Vishnu smiled and told the goddess that now I will sleep for four months. According to the beliefs, it is said that the devotees who worship Lord Vishnu with utmost dedication and fervor towards him at the time of awakening and sleeping, get the divine blessings of Lord Vishnu and Lord Vishnu resides in their homes. After that, we all live happy life. Let us now know about the organization of Tulsi Vivah.
Tulsi Vivah is also organized on this day. This marriage of Tulsi tree and Shaligram takes place with full pomp like all marriages. That is why Tulsi is also called Vishnu Priya. Only when the deities wake up, the first prayer they hear is Harivallabha Tulsi. Tulsi Vivah simply means meditating on God through Tulsi. It has been said in the scriptures that couples who do not have a girl child, must get the virtue of daughter donation by marrying Tulsi once in their life. So that those people can also get the virtue of daughter donation.