Shravan Maas is considered very auspicious to the devotees of Lord Shiva and almost every one of them will be fasting either for the whole month or at least every Monday of the Shravan Maas. Taking an early morning bath and chanting "Om Namah Shivay" with Rudrakshbeads nine or one hundred and eight times.
- Fasting during this entire month is considered very auspicious. Waking up early morning, visiting the Shiva temple, and offering a mixture of milk, ghee, yogurt, gangajal, and honey also known as Panchamrut along with Bilva leaves is a must. One can have milk and milk products, fruits and other fasting approved items during this time.
- Fasting on all Shravan somvar, especially for unmarried women who are seeking a good husband.
- According to Hindu mythology, worshipping Shiva is considered 108 times more powerful during this time than any other time of the year.
- Those who fast during this time, are blessed with happiness and prosperity along with the pleasures of the world.
- Following Eka Bhukta Bhojan or having one single meal in a day or Nakhtha Vratam ie, fasting during the day and having prasad or fruits at night is highly rewarding and meritorious.