Vamana avatar of Lord Vishnu is worshiped on Indira Ekadashi. This Ekadashi is also called Parivartini Ekadashi. It is said that on this day Shri Hari takes his turn while sleeping. It is also known as Padma Ekadashi. Worshiping the Vamana avatar of Lord Vishnu and observing a fast gives results similar to the Vajpeya Yagya. At the same time, the sins of man are destroyed.
Indira Ekadashi is specially worshipped. This Ekadashi is celebrated in Pitru Paksha. It is believed that fasting on Indira Ekadashi brings salvation to the ancestors and in the year 2021 Indira Ekadashi is falling on Sunday, 3 October.
The duration of Ekadashi will be 2 hours 22 minutes, and its Muhurta will be from 06:14:47 to 08:36:54. The ancestors get salvation by this fast. According to a legend, King Indrasen of Mahishmati in Satyuga had given his father a place in heaven by fasting on Indira Ekadashi.
The fasting and worship of Ekadashi are similar to the worship of the three worlds including Brahma, Vishnu. The worship method of this fast is as follows:
- A person observing a fast on Ekadashi should not eat food after sunset on Dashami Tithi a day before the fast and should sleep at night meditating on Lord Vishnu.
- On the day of fast, wake up early in the morning and meditate on God and take a vow after taking a bath. After this, light a lamp of ghee in front of the idol of Lord Vishnu.
- Use Tulsi, Ritu fruit, and Til in the worship of Lord Vishnu. Do not take food on the day of fast. Fruits can be consumed after worship in the evening.
- Avoid doing evil to others and telling lies on the day of fast. Apart from this, donate copper, rice, and curd.
- On the next day of Ekadashi, do Dwadashi after sunrise and break the fast by giving food and Dakshina to the needy person or Brahmin.
This story must be heard during the Indira Ekadashi fast. According to the legend, a majestic king named Indrasen reigned in Satyuga. The name of his kingdom was Mahishmati. In the state of Mahishmati, the people did not face any kind of suffering. The people lived happily. King Indrasen was a great devotee of Lord Vishnu. One day Narada appeared in the court of Indrasen and narrated the father's message to the king. Narada told the king that his father was in Yamlok. He had made some mistake in his previous birth, due to which he was compelled to live in Yamlok. Narada told the king that if Indrasen observes a fast on Indira Ekadashi of Krishna Paksha of Ashwin month, then he will attain heaven. The king requested Narad ji to give detailed information about the fast of Indira Ekadashi. On this, Narad Ji said that before the date of Ekadashi, on the tenth day, perform Shraddha for ancestors by law. And keep a fast on the date of Ekadashi and break the fast on the day of Dwadashi after doing charity work after worshiping God. Narad ji told Indrasen that by observing such a fast, the father would attain heaven. King Indrasen fasted according to the rules given by Narada. His father attained heaven because of fasting on Ekadashi.