Masik Karthigai is a special monthly- festival, greatly admired by Tamil-Hindus. As per Tamil- calendar, it is a religious observance of the eminent festivity “Karthigai Deepamv ( Karthikai vilakkidu)” celebrated every month. In essence, it is solemnized to worship Lord Shiva and Lord Murugan inside their respective sanctum-sanctorum in the temples. Masik Karthigai is a Hindu Festival of lights, gleams and brightness all around, celebrated monthly to adore Lord-Shiva.
When does Masik Karthigai fall?
It is said that Masik Karthigai Deepam got its name from Nakshatra Karthigai or Krittika. Scientifically, it takes place, when the moon is in conjunction with the constellation Karthigai i.e. Pleiades and Pournami (Pooran Maasi) are at the same time, and this constellation is visible as a group of six stars in the cosmic universe (sky) which looks like a pendant from/on the ear.
Religiously, it falls each and every month, according to Tamil-calendar. Here mentioning the dates, months and the days, Masik Karthigai is going to fall, this year-
Date Day Month
Jan 26, 2018 Friday January
Feb 22, 2018 Thursday February
Mar 22, 2018 Thursday March
Apr 18, 2018 Wednesday April
May 15, 2018 Tuesday May
Jun 12, 2018 Tuesday June
Jul 09, 2018 Monday July
Aug 05, 2018 Sunday August
Sep 02, 2018 Sunday September
Sep 29, 2018 Saturday September
Oct 26, 2018 Friday October
Nov 23, 2018 Friday November
Dec 20, 2018 Thursday December
Celebrations on Masik-Karthigai Deepam:
• On Masik Karthigai, worshippers of Lord-Shiva and Lord-Murugan venerate their lovable gods in their home-temples and other pious places to witness their blessings and boons.
• It is a belief that Karthigai Deepam is celebrated with the name Masik Karthigai every month and the most beneficial is observed in the month of Vrischika.
• During Masik-Karthigai, devotees light up streets with the earthen lamps- Deepam in the night time and beautiful decorations are done to embellish houses.
• This sacred pageant is honoured mostly in Tamil Nadu and Kerala Hindu homes and temples. Additionally, it is famous as Thrikkarthika in Kerala state.
• Being the oldest and one of the ancient festivals of Tamil state and its populace, Karthigai Deepam is celebrated with deep fervour and show.
• Karthigai Deepam is performed on the day when Krittika Nakshatra is solemnized.
Karthigai Deepam is very much popular on the hillocks of Thiruvannamalai where a gigantic fire lamp-Mahadeepam is flared up on the mountain- peak which can be seen from the ground-level. Hindu devotees pray to Lord- Shiva and pay homage to him.
Legends- An extremely famous and well-known epic:
Legends hold it that this reverent day is devoted to the prime- deity of Hinduism -Lord Shiva. The trio of the most supreme gods- Trinity is worshipped and is allied with this notable festival.
This also celebrates the holy birth of Lord Karthikeya which is also famed as Lord Muruga, Lord Subramanya and Lord Shanmuga etc who is adored as the divine Son of Lord Shiva.
reveals while there was a discussion going on over who is supreme and the most
powerful among the trinity "Lord
Brahma, Vishna and Maheshwara".
Lord Maheshwara (Shiva) converted
himself in an innumerable blaze (flame) of light to prove his supremacy (power)
to Lord Vishnu and Lord Brahma.