Things to do during Shravan Maas
Shravan Mass is synonymous with religious festivals and events. It is the considered a very auspicious time for conducting any Puja or other religious ceremonies and all days of this month are considered very prosperous. Shravan Purnima or the full moon day in the month of Shravan is coincides with the Nakshatra or birth star of Lord Vishnu or Shravan Nakshatra and is therefore called Shravan maas. In this moth each Somvar or Monday is called Shravan Somvar and is considered highly auspicious.
Things to do during the Shravan Month
- Devotees fast to please Lord Shiva: Fasting during this entire month is considered very auspicious. Waking up early morning, visiting the Shiva temple, and offering a mixture of milk, ghee, yogurt, ganga jal, and honey also known as Panchamrut along with Bilva leaves is a must. One can have milk and milk products, fruits and other fasting approved items during this time.
- Fasting on all Shravan somvar, especially for unmarried women who are seeking a good husband.
- As Rudraksh is symbolic to Lord Shiva, wearing the Rudraksha is considered very auspicious as well. Devout devotees of Lord Shiva make sure to wear a Rudraksh during this time of the year to please him.Devotees also do japa with Rudraksh mala to please Lord Shiva.
- Offering Panchamrut, bilva leaves, gangajal, dhatura, along with Honey or sugar and Bibhuti to Lord Shiva is considered very auspicious.
- The Mangal Gauri Vrata is also done by married women during this month for the health and prosperity of their households.
- Chanting the Shiva mantra during shravan maas is highly fruitful in pleasing Lord Shiva.
Om vande dev uma pati surguru vande jagatkaaranam l
Vande pannagbhooshan mrugdhar vande pashoona pathim ll
Vande surya shashank vahni nayan vande mukundpriyam l
Vande bhakt jana-ashraya ch varadam vande Shiv-Shankaram ll
- Chanting the Maha Mrutyunjay Mantra, during this time is very important.
- Following Eka Bhukta Bhojan or having a one single meal in a day or Nakhtha Vratam ie, fasting during the day and having prasad or fruits at night is highly rewarding and meritorious.
You may like: Shravan maas rituals
The Do's and Don’t's of Shravan Maas
What to Do?
- Do fast during this entire month. Fasting during this entire month is considered very auspicious. One can have milk and milk products, fruits and other fasting approved items during this time.
- Do wake up early morning, visiting the Shiva temple, and offering a mixture of milk, ghee, yogurt, gangajal, and honey also known as Panchamrut along with Bilva leaves is a must.
- Do take a sankalp while fasting. Dedicate yourself to perform this Vrata in your best ability.
- Do Shiva worship or Puja twice every Monday.
- Do chant the Maha Mrutyunjay Mantra during this time.
- Do wear Rudraksh as it is considered very auspicious.
- Do read the Shravan SomwarVrata Katha on Mondays. This katha is symbolic to Lord Shiva's journey from life to eternity.
- Do chant Om Namah Shivaythe whole time while fasting.
What not to Do?
- Don't eat meat or consume alcohol during this pious month.
- Don't shave during this month.
- Don't break your fast in between. Once started, breaking the fast in between is considered very inauspicious.