St. James' (also known as Skinner's Church) in India, built in 1836 by Colonel James Skinner. It is one of the oldest churches in the city, and part of the Church of North India Diocese of Delhi. Coordinates: 28.665637°N 77.230784°EIt is situated near Kashmiri Gate, at the intersection of Church Road and Lothian Road. It was the church the Viceroy of India, attended until the Cathedral Church of the Redemption, near Gurudwara Rakab Ganj, was built in 1931. The only other church of that era, the St. Stephen's Church, at Fatehpuri, Delhi was built in 1867. Behind the church is the bungalow of British Commissioners of Delhi, William Fraser, who is also buried in the church graveyard.
Subsequently, he built the edifice at his own expense of 95,000 Rupees, under the design of Major Robert Smith. The construction started in 1826, and was completed in 1836. The basic design of Renaissance Revival style church is on a cruciform plan (Greek Cross), with three porticoed porches, elaborate stained glass windows and a central octagonal dome, similar to that of the Florence Cathedral in Italy. It was consecrated on 21 November 1836 by the bishop of Calcutta Daniel Wilson.
John Mitchley Jennings took over the edifice after Skinner.
Skinner's Church c. 1858 photographed by Harriet and Robert Christopher Tytler
The copper ball and cross on the top, which are said to be replica of a church in Venice, were damaged during the 1857 revolt, and were later replaced. A special service was held in 2003, to commemorate 200 years of Skinner's Horse, the cavalry regiment raised by Skinner in 1803. Amongst those present were Margaret Skinner, great great granddaughter-in-law of Skinner, Admiral Sushil Kumar, retired Chief of Naval Staff, Col. Douglas Gray who commanded Skinner's Horse from 1935 to 1947, and several former British officers.
Winter Timings (October - March): Worship at 9 a.m.
Summer Timings (April - September): Worship at 8:30 a.m
Formerly known as Skimmer’s Church, St. James’ Church is believed to be the oldest worshipping church in the National Capital Region. It was commissioned by Colonel James Skinner, after whom it has been named, and consecrated in the year 1836. Tucked away in the bustling Kashmiri Gate area, it is a part of the history of the region. This is the church that the Viceroy of India attended until 1931. Several other important people, including Queen Elizabeth II in 1961 and the Archbishop of Canterbury in 1995, have also paid a visit to the church.
Summer (post-Easter) – 08:30 am to 10:00 am
Winter (post 1st October) – 09:00 am to 10:30 am
Nearest metro station: Kashmiri Gate (300 metres)