Ugratara Temple

God : Devi

Address :Lamb Rd, Uzan Bazar, Guwahati, Assam 78100

Locality/City/Village: Guwahati

State : Assam

Country: India

Temple Timings | Map

img

About

This is a famous Tara Devi temple situated in the eastern part of Guwahati city and on the western side of ‘JorePukhuri’ tank in the Lotaxil (latasil) locale. Ugrotara temple is a beautiful hindu temple which was built in 1725. It is one of the important ‘Shakti Shrines in India.

Mythology:

According to Hindu mythology, when goddess Sati- who was the first consort of Lord Shiva immolated herself in the ‘yagna of her father- Dakshna. Lord shiva in a great anguish, humped up Sati’s burnt body and performed a ‘Tandava’ (Dance of destruction)out of torment.After watching his dance in grief, gods and goddesses requested Lord Vishnu to stop Shiva. Thereafter, Lord Vishnu immediately cut Sati’s Body into pieces with his ‘Chakra’ and the naval of Goddess ‘Sati’ was found in Ugrotara Temple. Therefore Legends say that this shrine has a deep connection with Goddess Sati and hence it is dedicated to her.

Speciality:

No image, deity and idol is found in the garbhagriha of Ugra Tara, only a pit filled with water is worshipped as the goddess. The temple has a ‘Shivalaya’ and two ponds at the back side of the Shrine. However Temple is very beautiful and black in color.

History

The temple was pre-dominantly established in 1725 AD by ‘Ahom King Siva Singha’ who has gouged a tank which was known as – ‘Jorepukhuri ‘near the temple. The temple’s upper part was demolished by a disastrous Earthquake hence it was re-built by a local citizen.

There were two ‘Peetha described in ‘Kalika Purana’ , one was Shakti Peetha and another was Dikkara vasini. Dikkara vasini has basically two forms- Lalitha Kantha and Tikshna Kantha. Tikshna kantha is also known as ‘Eka jata’ or ‘UgraTara’ which is black in color and pot bellied.  However Lalitha is very beguiling and attractive and thus known by the name- ‘Tamreshwari’.

Architecture

The temple was pre-dominantly established in 1725 AD by ‘Ahom King Siva Singha’ who has gouged a tank which was known as – ‘Jorepukhuri ‘near the temple.

Temple Timings

Day Morning Evening
All Day 6.00 AM 7.00 PM.

Map

Comments


More Mantra × -
00:00 00:00