This temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and is situated at the Peacock Island, just in the centre of the river ‘Brahmaputra’. It is located very near to the office of Deputy Commissioner of Kamrup (Kachari ghat) in Guwahati’. This temple is famed as the smallest riverine Island in the world. Small boat s and yachts are available on the bank of the river- Brahmaputra that takes the devotees and visitors to the temple shrine.
Legends say Lord Shiva dwelled here in the form of BHASMAKUTA. According to the Kalika Purana, at the very beginning of the creation, Lord Shiva scattered ‘Bhasma’(ashes) at this spot, He also disseminated knowledge to his consort- ‘Parvati’ .
It is also believed that the time when Lord Shiva was busy in his meditation on this hillock, God Kamadeva heckled his yoga after that he was burnt to ashes by the fire of Siva’s anger and therefore the hillock got the name ‘Bhasmacala’.
According to the Hindu Sculptures, the Goddess ‘Urvashi’ who brought nectar for the pleasure of ‘Kamakhya’, resided here. Therefore, the island on which this temple is constructed is also known as ‘Urvashi’ Island.
The only way to reach this temple is to board ferries and motor launches available at the UmanandaGhat. This Ghat is located between the State Bank of India and the Ashoka Hotel.
It is one of the famous and important temples of Lord Shiva which is situated at Peacock Island in Guhawati. The temple is constructed on the mountain named- ‘Bhasmacala’ by Ahom king- Gadadhar Singha which rules in between 1681 to 1696.
bygone days Umananda temple was once named as- UmanandaDevaloi. However, the temple was destructed by the devastating
in 1897. Therefore, it was reconstructed
by a rich trader who inscribed the interior part of the temple with ‘Vaisnavite’